Friday, March 23, 2012

Girls Camp Flag

I have been so unbelievably busy lately it's not even funny... Although I don't have time to blog, I have been busy crafting... I thought I would do a quick post of the flag I made for girls' camp. The young women theme for the year is "Arise and Shine Forth that thy Light may be a Standard to the Nations" so for camp our stake is having each ward be a country. Our country is Finland and I was volunteered to make the flag. I did a lot of research on Finland and so this is what I came up with.

I used the basic shape of the Finland flag which is a white background with a blue cross going through it.
I made the blue cross out of water fabric because Finland has almost 200,000 lakes. I did a sun and moon because Finland is light all day in the summer and dark all day in the winter. I put an angry bird on the flag because the company, Rovio, that developed Angry Birds is from Finland. I put a reindeer because Father Christmas is thought to live in Lapland Finland... And because they eat reindeer there. I used the word Sisu because it is a word that is used to describe the Finnish people... It means that they are committed to what they do. And lastly, I made the flag out if a towel because going to a sauna is a big pass time in Finland. I thought it would be more fun to hang it as a bunting instead of from a pole!

This was a fun project with a LOT of appliqué. It was VERY time consuming, but I really enjoyed doing it!