Saturday, July 21, 2012

4th of July Float

Sometimes I really don't know why I do these things.... why do I spend hours, days creating a float for a 5 minute parade in Kanarraville, UT?  
My cousin, Summer, and I thought it would be fun to do a float for the 4th of July.  Last year we just had the kids decorate their bikes.  This year, we wanted to win!
 Our theme was "Our Founding Fathers are the real Super Heroes."    We used the Cricut to cut out all of the lettering and stars.
 My husband built a frame out of PVC pipe and we used a vinyl table cloth from Walmart for the background.
 I didn't want to do too many dollar store decorations, but, hey, they are cheap.  I thought I'd dress up this bunting a little with tulle tied between.
 These pinwheels were really fun to make.  I got the idea from Style me Pretty.  I used 1.5 sheets of 8.5x11 card stock.  I cut them in half lengthwise and glued 3 pieces together.  Then I accordian folded them and turned them into a circle.  I hot glued the circle in the center, then glued them to wooded dowels.

 The founding fathers pics were super easy.  I used my gathering foot on my sewing machine to gather the crepe paper.  Then I just glued it to the back.   I printed the pics from Wikipedia.  I just used a big X of duct tape to attach them to the trailer and I loved the way it turned out.
 These "bottle rockets" were made from old wrapping paper rolls.  We covered them with wrapping paper.  Then we made paper cones to go on top.  We taped shiny stuff to the bottom and taped them to a wooden dowel.
The kids all dressed up like super heroes... get it???

So, they gave prizes for the best 5... in no particular order!  I say we won:)