Friday, July 20, 2012

Cherry Chocolate Upside Down Cake

I really don't want this to turn into a recipe blog, but I loved this cake soooo much that I had to share it with the world. 

I went to girls camp last week and we had a Cherry Chocolate Upside Down cake in the dutch oven.  It was sooo good that we sent someone up the mountain to get cell phone reception so that we could call and have someone bring up the ingredients to make it again.

So, after I got home, I decided to make it in the slow cooker.  I loved it just as much, if not MORE.  So, here is my improvised slower cooker recipe.  I used a 3 qt. slow cooker, but you could probably double the recipe and use a larger slow cooker.

Cherry Chocolate Upside Down Slow Cooker Cake

Ingredients:
1 chocolate cake mix
1 can cherry pie filling
1/2 plus 1/3 cup apple sauce
(I know it's a weird amount, but that's what it turned out when I halved the recipe.  You could probably just do a full cup?)
2 eggs
3 oz. vanilla pudding (mixed according to package directions)
8 oz. cool whip

Directions:
Line slow cooker with a liner.  (this makes it easier to clean up, but also easier to get the cake out and dump it upside down).  Spray the liner with Pam.  Pour in can of cherry pie filling.  Mix cake mix with apple sauce and eggs.  Pour cake mix over cherry pie filling.  Cook in slow cooker on low for 2.5-3 hours.  Let rest for at least 15 minutes.  Put serving tray over slow cooker and flip cake upside down.  Peel off liner.  Spread vanilla pudding over cake and top with whipped topping.
It is a oooey gooey cake.  So yummy.  Cut and serve and scoop up all of the yummy gooeyness and put it back on top of the individual slices!  We loved this cake served warm... but it is also delicious served cold as left-overs.
I think I'm ready to experiment with other flavors of cake mixes and pie fillings and pudding:)