Monday, March 28, 2011

Buttery Corn Bread

My hubby doesn't like corn bread much... so I never get to make it.... or I'd have to eat the whole pan. So, the other day I made this cornbread recipe from allrecipes.com. My mom can't get over how good it is.... so I thought I'd post it. It gets 5 stars from allrecipes.... which is good in itself. HOWEVER, I make a slight modification to it.... I add Buttermilk! As my friend Jacinda from Tip Top Cake Shoppe says, "it's always better with buttermilk." It is soooo moist and delicious!

(I also have a delicious recipe for buttermilk waffles and buttermilk syrup... buttermilk is always in my fridge!)

Ingredients

* 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
* 1 cup sugar
* 3 eggs
* 1 2/3 cups milk BUTTERMILK
* 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup cornmeal
* 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Combine the eggs and milk. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with egg mixture.
2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees F for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm.

-Anisa